"[Shall we have a sip of tea ?] The afternoon glow is brightening the bamboos, the fountains are bubbling with delight, the soughing of the pines is heard in our kettle. Let us dream of evanescence, and linger in the beautiful foolishness of things."

 

Kakuzô OKAKURA, The Book of Tea, 1906.


Kuwapani Makalu KP1 "clonal" SFTGFOP1, Nepal

Thursday, July 9, 2009
 
 
 Edit Post

Here is a fine black tea from Nepal that I enjoy very much. It is a first flush 2009, made of long voluminous tealeafs: first leaf and bud mainly.


I prepared it in an porcelain teapot, infusing approximately 8 g of tea in 40 cl of filtered water at 80° C and infusing tealeafs twice at 4 minutes. I didn't want to constraint the leafs during the infusion so I just filtered them when pouring tea, making sure I had emptied the teapot completely before tasting.


I appreciate this Kuwapani for its fullness, its smooth flowing texture, and its well balanced profile. Some of its notes are extremely long in mouth (golden grape, caramelized sugar). Here is the range of notes I recognized.


Dryed leafs: especially nougatine and caramelized sugar, more slightly waxed wood and sandalwood.


Infused leafs: especially caramelized sugar, more slightly wood.


First infusion: especially fresh flowers (freesia, peony), then caramelized sugar and golden grape, and slightly sandalwood.


Second infusion: especially wood and caramelized sugar, slightly floral (freesia) and sandalwood, a final note more planty very slightly bitter (leaf).


First infusion was light golden while the second one was a bit deeper.

I did the second infusion 10 or 15 minutes after the first one.


As always, those 80 cl of Kuwapani made me feel very good: both dynamic and relaxed... sweet paradox.

 
 
commentaires: 2 Post a Comment

As I've said on another post, this is a valuable tea blog because you have a great handle on different aromas and flavors to describe what you taste with. And I follow around 200 tea blogs.

Thanks! All I hope is that this blog might be useful to those who enjoy tasting tea... Or those who are trying to know more about tea and tea tasting.
Thak you for your teadrops, Jason!

 
Creative Commons License
Beau-thé by Marisa Liebaut :: Teadrops est mis à disposition selon les termes de la licence Creative Commons Paternité-Pas d'Utilisation Commerciale-Pas de Modification 2.0 Belgique.