"[Shall we have a sip of tea ?] The afternoon glow is brightening the bamboos, the fountains are bubbling with delight, the soughing of the pines is heard in our kettle. Let us dream of evanescence, and linger in the beautiful foolishness of things."

 

Kakuzô OKAKURA, The Book of Tea, 1906.


Huang Shan Mu Dan

Thursday, September 10, 2009
 
 
 Edit Post


This chinese green tea was harvested this spring. Mu Dan means that the leaves were assembled by hand in order to give them a specific shape: similar to a flower, for instance. At first sight, my Huang Shan here reminded me both of a flower and of a sea urchin. OK with the flower but... well... let's say that my unconscious mind was a bit uneasy with the sea urchin image...


Being serious now, what really made me a bit reluctant at the beginning was the intense smoky vegetable aromas it emanated. I'm not - or at least I wasn't - very fond of such combination. The good thing is that I was positively surprised.


Let me give you some details about it.


I infused this tea 4 times in a small porcelain gaiwan (10 cl). I used filtered water (Brita) at 75° C, and the brewing time was rather long, as you will see.






Here's my tasting notes.


First infusion, 4' :  Amazing aromatic profile! Cooked cabbage and extremely smoky note were dominant and very persistent. The smoky note was not far from a strong lapsang souchong. Some light aromas developed at the end: first a caramelized one, then licorice root associated to the initial aromas (cabbage and smoky) which were lighter at that stage. 


Second infusion, 4' :  The cabbage and smoky aromas were dominant, even if not as strong as previously. Harmonious profile: those two aromas were associated to flowery ones, but I couldn't say precisely what flowers. Licorice note at the end.

Cabbage and smoky quite persistent.


Third infusion, 4' 50'' : Same thing, except that licorice root got stronger and longer in mouth.


Fourth infusion, 5' 20'' : Cabbage and smoky aromas were still there but getting more and more lighter. Sweet flavour. A new vanilla note developed combined with the licorice one. They were both quite persistent.


Fifth infusion, 4' 20'' : Sweet flavour. Sugar and licorice notes were dominant. Very refreshing at this stage.


Sixth and last infusion, 4' 50'' : Everything had vanished. Only a sweet global impression remained.




What can I say...? My initial reluctancy was completely un-jus-tified!

Gosh! This tea offered me exactly what I appreciate the most: strong contrast, variety, good length in mouth, clear succession of notes. And it was so refreshing at the end...! It was definitely a great tasting.


If you tasted it as well, and if you feel like sharing your views about it, please do drop some lines on the Comments. I'll be interested and I'm sure other people will be interested too.


 
 
commentaires: 2 Post a Comment

I think I'd like cabbage but I'm not sure about smoky along with it. Interesting that this tea became sweeter as the infusions progressed. That's a real goal to reach for. --Spirituality of Tea

 
Creative Commons License
Beau-thé by Marisa Liebaut :: Teadrops est mis à disposition selon les termes de la licence Creative Commons Paternité-Pas d'Utilisation Commerciale-Pas de Modification 2.0 Belgique.