"[Shall we have a sip of tea ?] The afternoon glow is brightening the bamboos, the fountains are bubbling with delight, the soughing of the pines is heard in our kettle. Let us dream of evanescence, and linger in the beautiful foolishness of things."

 

Kakuzô OKAKURA, The Book of Tea, 1906.


Raw Puerh Jiang Cheng (1989)

Tuesday, September 8, 2009
 
 
 Edit Post

I was very curious about this Puerh I bought to Stephane from Tea Masters. This was the first time that I tasted a raw Pu Erh and such an aged one. I searched for brewing parameters in the web before preparing it, and I did found some useful information. You might want to have a look on it as well. As you'll see I had three possible guidelines to my own Gong Fu Cha.


Firstly, I found a couple of parameters, tasting notes and impressions - in french.

They both tasted their raw Puerh (which was from 1990) in 2005.

Stephane suggested some variations himself (check the link).


J-C Maitre's parameters : 

15 cl yixing, quick rinse and then 6 infusions : 

20'' / 30'' / 30'' / 40'' / 40'' / ??


Lionel's parameters : 

2,5 - 3 g in 10 cl, quick rinse, 8 infusions : 

15'' / less than 15'' / 20'' / ?? / 30'' / 1' / 5' / 3'



Then I found some more information - this time in english.


Geraldo's parameters:

5 g in 15 cl (glass gaiwan), quick rinse, 5' of rest and then 5 infusions: 

15'' / 15'' / 25'' / 33'' / 52''


Geraldo's tasting notes are very detailed. He tasted his 1990 Puerh in 2005 as J-C Maitre and Lionel did.



I prepared my raw Puerh in a yixing teapot, more precisely the zisha Shui Pin Hou, by infusing 4 g of tea in 16 cl of filtered water (Brita) at 95°C. After a quick rinse I made 7 infusions. I stoped each infusion when the little drop on the edge of the spout got inside the teapot. Here's what I tasted.


Short rinse (well... I just couldn't sacrifice it...) : sweet and oily, I could feel that a wide variety of aromas was about to develop (earthy and undergrowth notes: damp soil, damp wood, damp leaves, humus), great freshness.


First infusion, 50'' : Great roundness and fullness, even more thick and oily texture. The earthy and undergrowth notes became stronger and then evolved towards something like burnt wood and humid earth you can smell at the end of the day in the countryside. When cold, this liquor became really - really - sweet (something close to licorice root) and fresh (almost the pine's freshness).


Second one, 40'' : Same thick oily texture. Round, very sweet and fresh. Earthy and undergrowth aromas were dominant and very sustained.


Third, 46'' : Liquor a bit less unctuous and slightly astringent. My mouth became dry and I started to feel slightly thirsty. Some changes among the aromas (damp soil grew stronger, then licorice root and pink pepper developed).




The day after at noon...



Fourth, 52'' : Liquor not that sweet nor thick, but still quite oily. Earthy and undergrowth aromas (similar to the first infusion). Light brown liquor.


Fifth, 1' ... '' : Sweetness vanished, but the texture remained a bit oily. Same damp earth, damp wood aromas, and once again the smoky, burnt wood note. Slight global astringency (dried mouth again). Very pleasant warmth in the throat.


Sixth, 4' 12'' : I tasted it cold. Very sweet liquor once again, but barely oily. Astringency grew stronger at the end. All the aromas vanished.


Seventh and last infusion, 6' 45'' : Dark brown liquor. No more aromas left. Global astringency (dried mouth and throat).



I was pretty amazed by the intense aromas and the texture of the five first infusions. I had the feeling I was somewhere in the heart of the woods, let's say early in the morning or perhaps at the end of the day, in autumn. Great feeling. Very nice tea!



Later on, I found another article in english which provides more information about this raw Puerh.


Wojciech's parameters:

5 g in 13 cl (gaiwan porcelain), quick rinse, 7 infusions : 

40'' / 25'' / 35'' / ... / 22'


I hope all this information gathering was useful to you.


Please feel free to drop a question or a comment.




 
 
commentaires: 6 Post a Comment

Nice blog, and beautiful photographs!
1989 Jiangcheng appears to be one of the more commented teas. It's good to have so many data points, including yours.
In my experience, it's a fairly tolerant tea as to infusion times. People you quote oscillate between 2.5 and 5g, 15 and 50" for the first infusion. The more I approach this tea, the more satisfied I am with shorter brewing, even in the region of 5" (but dosing at 5-6g / 100ml). Or as suggested by Stéphane Erler, a long 2-3' infusion on little leaf. The former emphasises the tea's power while the latter shows the texture and thickness.
Bear in mind that some of the comments you quote are relative to the 1990 Jiangcheng which is a different tea, lighter with less power than the 1990.
I wish you good luck and endurance with the blog!

Hi, thank you for the compliment. I'm glad you enjoyed my blog. And most of all, thank you for the details you added about this puerh!
You're are absolutely right, we shoudn't forget that those three guidelines I found before doing my Gong Fu Cha are relative to the 1990 Jiang Cheng.
I picked them though, hoping that they could give us a kind of general rough view on what those raw Puerh Jiang Cheng can develop.
My infusions were rather long, indeed. Next time I'll explore the shorter ones...

It seems to me this Pu-erh is the right one to have been aged 20 years. I'm encouraged to hear of the strong earthy and woody flavors and heartened to hear how it became quite sweet and fresh as cold.

Hi Jason, thank you for droping by. Did you also enjoyed this raw Puerh from Jiang Cheng? Yes, this one is quite aged... 20 years, indeed.

je rentre de vacances et je viens seulement de remarquer ton site en français !!Merci merci merci Marisa , je pense que c'est surtout pour moi , alors j'apprécie vraiment
MERCI Brigitte

Coucou Brigitte. C'est ta remarque qui m'a poussé à faire évoluer le format de mon blog. C'était surtout pour toi, en effet, bien que deux versions, l'une en français l'autre en anglais, c'est sans doute plus clair et plus simple pour tout le monde. Tout compte fait, merci à toi!

 
Creative Commons License
Beau-thé by Marisa Liebaut :: Teadrops est mis à disposition selon les termes de la licence Creative Commons Paternité-Pas d'Utilisation Commerciale-Pas de Modification 2.0 Belgique.